- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 125g of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup of granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of instant coffee powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water
2. In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Mix to combine and set aside.
3. Cream your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Then add your eggs one at a time, making sure to incorporate the first egg fully before adding the second. Add the second egg along with the vanilla essence. Beat until it's smooth and creamy.
5. Now add in half of the dry ingredients and combine. Then add in the buttermilk and coffee and combine, and finally the dry ingredients. You can use an electric mixer to incorporate everything, but only beat the batter until you see no more traces of dry ingredients left. (Tip: If you're too lazy to go out and buy buttermilk, you can just substitute it by combining 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of white, distilled vinegar. It does the same job! By the way, the coffee is added as it gives the chocolate a richer flavour. You can't taste the coffee at all, so don't worry! )
6. Spoon the batter into your lined cupcake pan, and fill the liners only 2/3 of the way full. Then bake in your preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. If you're baking larger cupcakes, please watch them. They will take a longer time to cook, so be careful!
7. Once they're baked, leave them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to let them cool completely before frosting. For the Oreo Buttercream Frosting, you will need:
- 100g of Oreos, finely ground
- 130g of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups of icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons of milk
|Follow Our Pinterest|